After some pressing by Daniel Cormier and Kenny Florian, UFC President Dana White seemed to give a decent amount of assurance that plans are in the works for bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz to make his next title defense at UFC 207.
At the very least, White said there are definitely big plans in the future for “The Dominator.”
White talked about Cruz’s run with bad luck as he dealt with a litany of injuries over the course of 2012 to 2015 that largely kept him out of action.
“I don’t think if I have ever met anybody in my life that has worse luck than this kid. In his entire career, it was just one thing after another, injury,” White said on UFC Tonight (transcription via Bloody Elbow). “He (was supposed to be) getting a big fight, coming off Ultimate Fighter. He was supposed to be the co-main event on Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 2 [UFC 148], which he gets a piece of the PPV.”
Cruz returned to win the bantamweight title again earlier this year after it had been stripped from him during his time out on injury, defeating T.J. Dillashaw by split decision.
He closed out his rivalry with Urijah Faber at UFC 199 as the men fought for the third time in a split feud to that point.
Cruz dominated the fight and got his first title defense in his second run as champion under his belt.
“And (now) some really really good news is coming Dominick Cruz’s way,” White said. “So knock on wood and hope this kid stays healthy because some really good news is coming his way.”
Florian and Cormier speculated that Cruz would be booked to UFC 207 which was announced on Wednesday to be headlined by a returning Ronda Rousey who will be challenging Amanda Nunes for the women’s bantamweight title.
White smiled and said he did not want to reveal a lot, but, “It’s possible. It’s possible.”