Quantcast
Knockout News

Gennady Golovkin-Daniel Jacobs fight won’t happen this year

Boxer Gennady Golovkin works out in front of the media in New York, Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2015. Golovkin will fight David Lemieux in New York on Oct. 17, 2015 at Madison Sqaure Garden. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
AP Photo/Seth Wenig

A promising end to the 2016 boxing calendar absorbed multiple hits this week, with arguably the sport’s best pound-for-pound fighter representing the latest setback.

The December 10 date eyed for a prospective Gennady Golovkin middleweight title defense against top contender Daniel Jacobs is off, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.com, who adds neither will fight again this year. This comes a day after the Orlando Salido-Takashi Miura junior lightweight fight was cancelled due to the former’s back injury.

Despite picking up a TKO victory over Kell Brook in England last month, the 34-year-old Golovkin planned to fight in December. He hasn’t fought just twice in a year since 2012. GGG defended the WBA belt four times in 2013, three times in 2014 and after acquiring additional belts over the past two years has fought five times since the start of 2015. Golovkin defeated Dominic Wade in April and Brook in September while waiting for Canelo Alvarez to agree to fight him.

A concern about how the purse would be distributed appeared to irk the Jacobs camp.

With the fighters aligned on the opposite ends of boxing’s political spectrum, GGG with HBO and Jacobs with Premier Boxing Champions, a purse bid was going to come into play. The WBA ruled Golovkin would receive 75 percent of said purse, and Al Haymon-managed Jacobs hoped the organization would deviate from the standard 75-25 split when the “super” champion fights a “regular” champion (which Jacobs technically is). But the WBA denied Jacobs’ request for a 60-40 split, leading to the ongoing talks being tabled for a possible 2017 fight.

“As soon as we can get the deal agreed to we’ll figure out a date and location,” Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler said, via Rafael. “But first we have to make the fight. Optimally, it will stay at Madison Square Garden. Our goal is to not go to a purse bid because a promotion is more effective when both sides are happy with the deal.”

A cancer survivor, the 29-year-old Jacobs (32-1) defeated Peter Quillin and Sergio Mora in his last two bouts but isn’t considered the draw Golovkin (36-0) is. The Kazakh is still tentatively on track to face Alvarez in September of 2017, but that fight probably shouldn’t be considered a lock considering the steady delays it’s incurred.

Today's Knockout A Division Of Fanrag Sports Strives To Provide You Quality, Professional Journalism Covering All The Latest News And Information In The MMA and Boxing world. Our Writers Are Held To A Strict Code Of Conduct And Professionalism. Our Mission Is To Be Your Go-To For All Things In Combat Sports. If You Love Combat Sports, Today's Knockout Has Something For You!

© 2014-2017 Nafstrops Media, LLC - All Rights Reserved

To Top