Here’s a look at the WWE Divas power rankings following the Sept. 21 edition of Monday Night Raw:
Above is the most important moment of the week. This will be important to the rest of this article.
Natalya: She made her return to action. Granted, the storyline had no explanation of her taking care of her husband, Tyson Kidd, during his near-death injury. No, instead it was basically, “Natalya returns, plays the veteran voice of reason to (finally) heel Paige, is given a match for the first time in several months and loses.”
Naomi: She won a match.
Sasha Banks: Will be in yet another candidate for Match of the Year at NXT Takeover: Respect, yet still can’t get enough TV time as a member of Team B.A.D.
Every Diva: Paige put you on blast.
5. Becky Lynch (Previous Ranking: 5): Poor Becky. Of all the Divas named in Paige’s heel turn promo, she may have gotten it the worst. Her former teammate called her the “least relevant” member of the Divas division — how dare she — but I digress. Each week I’ve said Becky’s booking as the third member of Team PCB has done her character zero favors other than staying slightly more relevant than Alicia Fox and the non-Sasha Banks members of Team B.A.D. So here’s when we’ll see if WWE decides to actually give her a deserved singles push or decides to bury her as an afterthought following Paige’s comments.
4. Nikki Bella (Previous Ranking: 2): We have to give Nikki Bella her due, she had one of the better matches of her career. She performed as a capable heel wrestler by focusing in on Charlotte’s injured knee throughout Sunday’s match. However, she followed it up on Raw with a quick promo before throwing her sister to the new Divas champ in a squash match.
3. Bayley (Previous Ranking: N/A): OK, Bayley isn’t on Raw… yet. But she did make her long-awaited return to NXT as its new Women’s Champion this past week. In typical Bayley form, she ran through the crowd and celebrated in the ring with her No. 1 fan, Izzy. She also dominated a jobber before a back-and-forth with Sasha Banks led to William Regal’s decision for a 30-minute Iron Woman match at NXT: Respect.
2. Paige (Previous Ranking: 4): Damn Paige, where’d that come from? Fans have been waiting for the implosion of the Divas tag-team angle — especially PCB — for weeks and just like that “CM Paige” dropped a pipe bomb to reassert herself as a contender for her former teammate’s Divas Championship. And really, was it a heel turn? I mean, the crowd cheered Paige before she spoke. They cheered after she ethered the entire division. Most of what she said — aside from Becky Lynch being an afterthought — was right. So what’s the problem here?
1. Charlotte (Previous Ranking: 1): There’s no denying that Charlotte has been WWE’s top female competitor for several weeks and her title win at Night of Champions was the icing on the cake. WWE documented her entire day leading up to her match and did an excellent job of getting her over as the top babyface. Short-term, a Paige-Charlotte rivalry is the perfect fix for the arguably stale “Divas Revolution” angle. Long-term, her facing Sasha Banks, a heel Paige and even a jealous Becky could do wonders for improving Raw.