Despite many people feeling he’s simply going to be victim No. 49, former two-time welterweight champion Andre Berto is approaching his Sept. 12 fight with Floyd Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs) with supreme confidence.
No matter if it’s an open workout or an extended Q&A session with the media, Berto (30-3, 23 KOs) has come across like a man who knows he’s going to shock the world instead of someone who is just happy to be on this big stage.
“I know that I’m still the same guy who people thought could have given Floyd problems a couple years ago,” Berto said last week after his Los Angeles open workout.
“At the end of the day, this fight was supposed to happen two or three times. Situations with me not taking care of myself and not taking opponents seriously caused it to happen. But styles make fights and we’ll see what the boxing fans say Sept. 12.”
The seriousness in which Berto is approaching this fight is evident to anyone who spends more than a couple of minutes around the former champion. After going 3-3 in his past six fights, Berto has been locked down with top notch trainer Virgil Hunter preparing for the fight and not paying attention to the critics, who greatly believe this fight is a mismatch that will tank on pay-per-view.
Hunter strongly disagrees with the consensus view that Berto has little to lose and everything to gain by fighting Mayweather.
“It’s not fair to the fight game to say this is a free shot,” Hunter said. “To go in there and say we have nothing to lose we have everything to lose. We have a unique opportunity right in front of us and have a chance at history and to cement a legacy for my fighter Andre Berto.”