Quantcast
Smack Apparel

Around the Ring: Boxing News and Notes

A big-time matchup in the middleweight division was announced this week, as Brooklyn natives Daniel Jacobs and Peter Quillin will meet at the Barclays Center in December. Also, some promotional news out of the Canelo Alvarez camp. We’ll talk about both, in this week’s Around the Ring.

Daniel Jacobs vs. Peter Quillin

The two New Yorkers have been rumored as possible opponents for some time now, and they will finally square off for Jacobs’ 160-pound title on Showtime Dec. 5.

Gregory Payan, AP file

(AP Photo, Gregory Payan)

“This [fight] is all the motivation I needed,” Jacobs told ESPN. “What other motivation do you need to get your butt in the gym and get prepared? They call me the ‘Miracle Man.’ It’s no secret that I have motivation to be the best I can be. Come Dec. 5, Brooklyn is going to have a new star.”

The fight is now all but finalized, after Quillin (32-0-1, 23 KOs) easily defeated Australian Michael Zerafa this past Saturday. “Kid Chocolate” scored a fifth-round stoppage, in which Zerafa was knocked out cold and had removed from the ring on a stretcher and sent to the hospital for precautionary reasons.

Immediately after the contest, Quillin called out Jacobs, who was ringside.

Jae C. Hong / AP.

Jae C. Hong / AP.

 

“We can do it right here if you want to take off that suit and put on those gloves,” Quillin said.

“What’s important is that I’m ready for Danny Jacobs,” Quillin said. “Now it’s time for Brooklyn to see me and Danny Jacobs. We’ve waited for a long time for it. I like Danny because I’m a big fan of his. But business is business, unfortunately.”

On April 11, Quillin fought to a draw with world title holder Andy Lee, but even if Quillin had won he was not eligible to win the belt because he failed to make weight. The fight with Zerafa was contracted at 163 pounds, and Quillin surprised many by weighing in at 160 pounds.

Jacobs (30-1, 27 KOs), whose now feel-good battle with cancer has been well documented, was able to return to boxing in late 2012. He knocked out Jarrod Fletcher in the fifth round 13 months ago to win a vacant secondary title.

Jacobs has defended the belt twice, by 12th-round knockout of Caleb Truax in April and by second-round knockout of former junior middleweight titlist Sergio Mora on Aug. 1.

“I’m from Brownsville in Brooklyn. I never ran and I never will,” Jacobs said. “Dec. 5 at Barclays Center. I’m the champion and he’s the challenger. I don’t know how it’s going to go down, but it’s going to be a great fight.”

With the two being from the same city, and in the same weight class, they have known each other for quite a while now and have become ‘friendly rivals.’ Both fighters know, that once the bell rings, that friendship will have to be put on hold.

“In the sport of boxing, you can’t make too many friends because you might wind up fighting one of these guys,” Jacobs said. “It will be one of the biggest fights that Brooklyn has had in a long time. I’m a mover, I’m a power puncher, and I have a high boxing IQ. He has trouble with guys that move, and I can think on the fly.

Canelo Alvarez extends deal with Golden Boy

(AP Photo/John Locher)

(AP Photo/John Locher)

Canelo Alvarez, Mexico’s most popular active fighter and one of boxing’s biggest stars, signed a multiyear, multi-fight contract extension with Golden Boy Promotions last week.

“I am loyal,” said Alvarez via ESPN. “It’s part of my character and that’s why I am extending my contract with Golden Boy Promotions,” Alvarez said. “Golden Boy Promotions knows how to build a fighter and elevate him to a world stage as they have done with me and continue to do with many others. I look forward to working with Golden Boy throughout my career.”

The signing comes two months before Alvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs) will challenge Miguel Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs) for the middleweight world championship on Nov. 21 (HBO PPV) at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. The Mexican-Puerto Rican showdown will be one of the sport’s biggest fights, and pair two of boxing’s most loyal fan bases.

Specifics of the deal, including fight length and dollar amount were not released, but securing the 25-year-old superstar is a slam dunk for Golden Boy.

“Canelo Alvarez is no longer the future of the boxing — he is the present, and with a win on Nov. 21 against Miguel Cotto, he will solidify his status as the best in the business,” Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya said. “It has been a privilege to promote him during his meteoric rise, and we now look forward to many more highlights in a career already filled with many of them.”

 

Today's Knockout A Division Of Fanrag Sports Strives To Provide You Quality, Professional Journalism Covering All The Latest News And Information In The MMA and Boxing world. Our Writers Are Held To A Strict Code Of Conduct And Professionalism. Our Mission Is To Be Your Go-To For All Things In Combat Sports. If You Love Combat Sports, Today's Knockout Has Something For You!

© 2014-2017 Nafstrops Media, LLC - All Rights Reserved

To Top