Frankie Edgar will most certainly be getting his promised opportunity to fight for the featherweight title.
Only it may not come in a fight against the newly crowned featherweight champion, who may or may not be forced to vacate the 145-pound title on his journey to vie for the UFC’s 155-pound title.
As noted in the post-fight press conference following UFC 194, UFC Vice President of Public Relations Dave Sholler said McGregor will either remain the champion at featherweight or vacate the belt for an immediate title shot against the winner of UFC on FOX 17’s headliner between champion Rafael dos Anjos and Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone.
A title shot will always be a title shot to some, but the prospect of becoming the first man to defeat McGregor inside the Octagon is worth something to “The Answer,” too — no matter where the contest takes place, Edgar says.
— Frankie Edgar (@FrankieEdgar) December 13, 2015
It’s likely Edgar is emphasizing “ANYWHERE” in response to McGregor’s interest of headlining a potentially record-setting bout in his hometown of Dublin, Ireland. “The Notorious” one has long talked of defending his title at Croke Park, a soccer stadium capable of holding 82,000 people. If sold out, it would easily surpass the UFC’s current attendance record of just over 56,000 — a record it set just last month at UFC 193 at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, Australia.
Edgar secured his title shot after defeating three-time title contender Chad Mendes in the first round of their main event bout at The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale just one night before McGregor defeated Aldo.