An international fight card lacking a marquee name in any of its 13 scheduled bouts, UFC Fight Night 78 brings some potential barnburners into Arena Monterrey in Monterrey, Mexico.
Headlined by late-addition Neil Magny and a likely crowd favorite in Kelvin Gastelum, the night’s main event is sure to aid one of the two top-flight welterweights inch further up the ladder in the 170-pound division. Winner of The Ultimate Fighter 17, Gastelum was originally scheduled to face the division’s No. 5 contender Matt Brown, but had his opponent switched a few weeks out after Brown suffered an ankle injury.
Slotted for the co-main event is a matchup that lacks typical matchmaking strategies, but certainly carries all the potential to receive Fight of the Night honors as No. 4 featherweight Ricardo Lamas faces off against longtime UFC veteran Diego Sanchez. This marks the fourth division Sanchez will compete in since winning The Ultimate Fighter 1 as a middleweight over 10 years ago.
Quite possibly the most important matchup of the night, former Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo puts his undefeated record on the line when he faces fellow top-five flyweight Jussier Formiga. Though it hasn’t been cemented just yet, the two are expected to be fighting for a possible title shot against UFC flyweight champion Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson.
The main card is rounded off with a pair of fights to determine the winners of The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 2. Enrique Marin and Erick Montano, both of Team Gastelum, face off to determine the season’s welterweight winner, while a pair of Team Escudero fighters — in Enrique Barzola and Horacio Gutierrez — square off for the season’s lightweight honors.
Results for the card are as follows:
Undercard (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
- Michel Prazeres def. Valmir Lazaro via split decision (29-28 x 2, 28-29)
- Marco Polo Reyes def. Cezar Arzamendia via KO (Round 1, 3:42)
- Alvaro Herrera def. Vernon Ramos via TKO (Round 1, 0:30)
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Andre Fili def. Gabriel Benitez via TKO (Round 1, 3:13)
- Alejandro Perez def. Scott Jorgensen via TKO (Round 2, 4:46)
- Bartosz Fabinski def. Hector Urbina via unanimous decision (30-27 x 2, 29-28)
- Erik Perez def. Taylor Lapilus via unanimous decision (29-28 x 3)
Main Card (Fox Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET)
- Leandro Silva def. Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Enrique Barzola def. Horacio Gutierrez via unanimous decision (30-27 x 2, 30-26)
- Erick Montano def. Enrique Marin via split decision (29-28 x 2, 28-29)
- Henry Cejudo def. Jussier Formiga via split decision (30-27 x 2, 28-29)
- Ricardo Lamas def. Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision (30-27 x 3)
- Neil Magny def. Kelvin Gastelum via split decision (48-47 x 2, 47-48)