Wooden furniture needs to be protected from several pests. That’s because it is the most significant investment in your house. Any weakness in wood can damage the entire infrastructure. For this reason, furniture pest control is very important.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss which pests live in wood furniture, what are their signs, and different ways to furniture pest control. So, let’s get started.
The Most Common Pests Live In Wood Furniture
Your furniture can be a breeding ground for many pests. The most wood-destroying pests are:
- Beetle larvae (woodworms)
- Carpenter ants
Signs Of Termites In Wooden Furniture
- Termites eat the furniture from the inside out. As a result, the wood begins to weaken and crack. Following are a few signs that can tell you the presence of termites in your wooden furniture:
- Mud tunnels are seen along the outside of the wood.
- Some areas of the wood get blistered or darker.
- Termite droppings are seen everywhere on the wooden surface in the form of sawdust or wood-covered pellets.
- The furniture sounds hollow when you tap on the wooden surface with the back of a screwdriver.
Signs Of Carpenter Ants In Wooden Furniture
- They are very harmful as they do not eat the wood but do dig tunnels in it to build nests and lay eggs. These tunnels can cause damage to the wooden structure and the furniture eventually breaks under some pressure.
- The furniture sounds hollow when you tap on the wooden surface with the back of a screwdriver where the nests are built.
- Once after digging a wood tunnel, carpenter ants smooth the walls of the tunnels. This will create little piles of wood shavings near the holes which may have other pests in them.
Signs Of Beetles In Wood Furniture
- Beetles lay their eggs in the cracks present in the wooden furniture. Tiny tunnels and holes (around one-sixteenth to one-eighth of an inch wide) in your wooden furniture can be a big sign of their presence.
Use Different Furniture Pest Control Methods
Now that you know different types of furniture-damaging pests, you should use several methods for their control.
Set a trap
One of the best ways to lure pests out of your wooden furniture is to set a trap. Place wet cardboard where you think pests are there and leave it for a couple of days. If you see any pests have moved out of the furniture and into the wet trap, identify them. This way, you can better know which type of pest is living inside and you can take the best steps to kill them.
This furniture pest control method will protect the wood from infestation. To apply, mix a teaspoon of borax in a cup of warm water and transfer it to a spray bottle. Then apply it directly on the furniture. Applying borax solution every day for at least five days can be so effective.
Orange And Neem Oils
Pure neem oil and orange oil have been used for so long to kill furniture-damaging pests. Inject these oils directly into the furniture tunnels or holes. This will kill them.
Since wooden furniture is a wonderful investment, protecting it with a good sealant or varnish is so important. With the above-mentioned furniture pest control method, you can protect your furniture from further damage!
Remodeling your apartment is a great way to enhance your lifestyle and make the most of the space you have. Whether you’re looking to make a few changes or completely overhaul the look and feel of your place, there are plenty of ways to improve your apartment’s interior design. From rearranging furniture, adding new lighting fixtures, or even painting walls, there are plenty of options for transforming your home into a more comfortable and enjoyable living space. With careful planning and thought, you can create an atmosphere that complements both your lifestyle and budget. Check out apartments for rent in cambridge ma.